• 7/3-4 4th of July Parade - Gatlinburg: July 03, 2017 - July 04, 2017

Mon July 3/July 4 - 4th of July Parade - Gatlinburg

• 4 Replies

Sally Morgan

• Global Moderator
Mon July 3/July 4 - 4th of July Parade - Gatlinburg
« on: June 25, 2017, 08:13:16 PM »
4TH OF JULY PARADE, GATLINBURG - Monday July 3-4

All members are invited to join in driving in this wonderful parade.  Gatlinburg touts the “First Fourth of July Parade in the Country” as this parade kicks off at the stroke of Midnight to start the celebrations! Yes, it’s a late night, but it’s so much fun and thousands of people show up for the event!  The streets of Gatlinburg are lined with kids of all ages to cheer on the parade!

In order to participate, you MUST decorate your car with lights and whatever patriotic decorations you choose.  Lights can be solar, battery powered or, if you have a plug in transducer, that works too.  Some have even used a portable charger that they use for their lawn equipment. 

We will meet at the Townsend Gateway Inn and be departing at 8:30 pm on Monday, the 3rd of July For ride over to parade line up. On arrival in Gatlinburg, we will have an assigned area to decorate our cars.  This gives us plenty of time to decorate or help other members complete their decorations. 

What to bring in addition to car decorations: 
- 2 Way Radios as we use on our drives tuned to 5.0 and fully charged
- White gloves so people on the side of the street can actually see your hands as you wave back to them - they will be waving to you!
- Tape, command strips, electrical ties, or whatever you choose to attach your decorations.  Although we will be traveling at very slow speeds through the town, once we reach the end of town the speed usually picks up to get to our “undecorating” spot at Sugarlands Visitors Center.  So you want to be sure you don’t lose your decorations along the way.
- A big smile and a good waving arm!

Please RSVP so we are sure everyone has arrived at Townsend Gateway and we don’t leave anyone behind.  Don’t miss this.  We have a blast!

Oh, and afterwards, we go to breakfast together in Pigeon Forge - just to keep the fun going…….

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:14:52 PM by Sally Morgan »
Sally Morgan
White 96 Miata

Guy Womack

Re: Mon July 3/July 4 - 4th of July Parade - Gatlinburg
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:34:58 PM »
Rhonda and I will be thar

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 12:14:14 AM »
I'm coming!! Piccolo 😃

Dave Clark

• Board
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 11:01:31 AM »
I can't stay awake that late.
Dave Clark
2003 Classic Red NB Miata
Hard Dog Sport DD Bar
BRP Stg 1 S/C
FM Stg 2 suspension

John Gunning

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 07:16:08 PM »
What a parade! What fun!  Nine cars showed up and all had a great time.  The rain even nicely spaced its events to avoid the parade!

Susan and I took the easy way out and stayed in Gatlinburg for the night, and thus missed the morning breakfast at IHOP, but I am sure all those there had an entertaining time.

Lights, lights, lights.
I always forget to get this posted with enough time prior to the parade, so I will do it now in preparation for the Christmas Parade.

Strips of LED lights, as are on Pete/Gail's and our (John and  Susan) car are quite inexpensive and available on line.  The relevant info and web addresses are below.

Lighting Ever
http://www.lightingever.com/

The specific LED strips that Pete and I use are at:

http://www.lightingever.com/rgb-led-strip-light-waterproof-4100054-us-a.html

Pack of 16.4ft, 12V RGB Flexible LED Strip Light, 150 Units 5050 LEDs, Colour Changing, Waterproof, with Remote Controller & Power Adaptor Included

Currently $16.99 for 1 reel that is 16.4ft (5 meters)  long, and includes a controller and power source.   The power source runs off 120AC, so you can run it off an inverter.  However, the lights actually run on 12 volts, so one can use a cord from a old transformer that  is the correct size to fit the controller, and connect it directly to a 12 volt plug to put into the car's cigarette lighter/power source. And thus avoid having to use an inverter.  During the recent parade, I had 6 reels on my car.  :)

There are also lots of other LED lighting options available at this site.  Be creative!!

John and Susan Gunning
1991 Garnet Red Mica
MM Secretary-Retired
MM's Most Classic Miata - 303k